Ok, so we haven’t had the most consistent summer in the UK, but that hasn’t stopped us British folk from squeezing in some barbecue afternoons here and there. One of my favourite recipes to make during the barbecue season is my classic 5-ingredient homemade burgers, made from minced beef. You can, of course, substitute the meat for Quorn or even vegetables, which is a healthier option.
Homemade burgers for the barbecue seasonCourse: 15 minute meals, Barbecue, Beef, Holidays and Events, July, Meat, Protein, Quick, Recipes, Summer
These homemade burgers for the barbecue season can be made at any time of the year, but they are best enjoyed under the summer sun.
6 – 8 burger buns
1 packet 500g beef mince (you can also use veggie mince too!) – defrosted
1 medium onion, diced
1 egg – or 2 flaxeggs!
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 tsp garlic granules (you can also use 1 clove, chopped or grated)
Salt and pepper to season
1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Sweat the onions and add the garlic in a slightly oiled frying pan
- In the meantime, break up the mince with a fork in a mixing bowl
- Add the egg, Dijon mustard and the rest of the seasoning. Mix well.
- Once the onions have cooled, add to the mince and mix well
- Go in with your fingers now and form the mix into burgers, by rolling into a ball and then flattening with the palm of your hands
- If you have a spare 10 minutes, you can chill the burgers in the fridge for the around 10 minutes to stiffen. If not, place burgers gently onto the grill.
- Make sure you leave the burgers on the grill to sizzle for a good few minutes before turning over, to avoid the mix to break. Grill until browned and well cooked.
- Lightly toast the inside of the burger buns on the same grill.
- Serve with your favourite sauce, simple garden salad, and your favourite barbecue sides.
Price for ingredients via Tesco – £4.09 (as at 10 July 2016) Prices may vary after this date
Photos by Preston Perfect Photography