We love Bruschetta in our house and I use this recipe as a great starter to a lovely barbecue or a 3-course Mediterranean meal.
Being Mediterranean myself, I love lots of lemon and olive oil in my mix. But, if you’re not much of a fan of that extra zing, just leave the lemon out and add a little bit more black pepper. It’s a great versatile recipe that works with almost anything, as long as you have your three key ingredients in there: tomato, basil and olive oil!
You can afford to get creative with Bruschetta and add what you fancy. But, piling on too much flavour may overpower the recipe as a whole. For a protein-busting breakfast meal, just add a poached/fried/boiled egg. Or, in this case, you can add meat. I’ve included Bernard Matthews Turkey Ham as part of a brunch challenge to encourage the growing trend of including poached eggs, avocado and cooked meats to your brunch. You can find the full post over at my parenting magazine, Motherhood Diaries.
Over to the recipe.
- 1 pack of Bernard Matthews Wafer Thin Turkey Ham
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 x 250g Ciabatta bread, each loaf cut into quarters
- Juice of half a lemon
- Handful fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Prepare the Bruschetta ingredients by combining the tomatoes, spring onion, basil, olive oil, lemon, salt and black pepper.
- Leave to chill and marinade in the fridge for at least an hour to bring out all the flavours. (You can use immediately, but the flavours may not be as rich.)
- Drizzle the Ciabatta bread with extra virgin olive oil and lightly toast
- Lay the Bernard Matthews Wafer Thin Turkey Ham over the lightly toasted ciabatta bread
- Finish by adding the Bruschetta ingredients on top of the turkey ham/toasted bread
- Can be served immediately or chilled to enjoy later
If you’re ready to create your recipe, just click on the button below and head on over to MySupermarket to buy your ingredients in the cheapest possible way.
Price for ingredients via Tesco – £4.43 (as at 02 June 2016) Prices may vary after this date
Photos by Preston Perfect Photography
New recipes every week!
Awesome, thanks! I look forward to a lovely long relationship with you. As promised I’ll start sending you some awesome new recipes, as well as tips on how to be a superstar chef in the kitchen too. I hope you like them 🙂 Oh, and if you have any questions, comments, and/or criticism – or if you just want to say hello – hit me up with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to get to know you 🙂 I’ll see you on the other side! Leyla x