In North Cyprus, there is a wonderful iron-rich, nutrient-dense spinach-style rice recipe called Molohiya, which I enjoy in abundance when I visit the Mediterranean island. Not only does this tasty dish help to ‘move things along’ in the guts, but this recipe is packed full of vitamins and minerals that leave your skin glowing afterwards. Unfortunately, we don’t have Molohiya in the UK, so I’m going to make a spinach rice version instead. It’s a one-pot dish that you can plate up in just under an hour. So, this spinach rice stew-like recipe makes for a great weekday dinner.
Here are the ingredients:
Thanks to the superfood ingredients, this 5-ingredient Spinach Rice Recipe will guarantee a large injection of nutrients (especially iron) into your body – just in time to ward off those nasty bugs that come along with the colder months.
Pssst – If you subscribe to my emails every Sunday, you’ll get a free automated weekly planner that’s updated with new recipes every week. Plus, you’ll also receive lots of freebies, including checklists, printables and whatever else I can think of that you would find interesting and valuable – Form on the right (look up) ⟶ and below (look down) ↓
Recipes, Freebies and Tips every Sunday!
Awesome, thanks! I look forward to a lovely long relationship with you. As promised I’ll start sending you some awesome new recipes, as well as tips on how to be a superstar chef in the kitchen too. I hope you like them 🙂 Oh, and if you have any questions, comments, and/or criticisms – or if you just want to say hello – hit me up with an email to email@example.com. I’d love to get to know you 🙂 I’ll see you on the other side! Leyla x
5-Ingredient Spinach Rice Recipe
- 240g fresh spinach
- 1/2 broccoli head chopped
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 red onions sliced finely
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
Fancy more recipes with spinach? Try my One Pot Five-Ingredient Vegan Tofu Fried Rice or my 5-ingredient Vegan Sweet Potato and Chickpea Sausage Rolls. Or, perhaps my 5-ingredient Vegetable Koftes (Meatballs) is more to your liking?
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of brown sugar
- 3 cups of hot water (for the stock)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Prepare the rice for your dish, by adding 1 1/2 cups of brown rice to 3 cups of water. I steamed the brown rice, which takes about 40 minutes. But, if you can’t wait that long, you can boil the rice in a pot for half the time. Watch this space for a rice-making tutorial soon!
- If you’re using meat in this recipe, brown it first in a large pan with a little oil.
- About 15 minutes before the brown rice is cooked, grab your large pot, add a little bit of oil and place on a medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and grated garlic, with a pinch of brown sugar and saute for a few minutes until soft and translucent. The brown sugar slightly caramelises the onions and sets a softer sweet base for the sauce.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add the broccoli (including the stalk. We don’t waste food!)
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Make up your stock, by measuring about 3 cups of hot water and adding all the seasoning to the water. Mix well. Add the stock to the pan and combine.
- Place a lid on the pot. Turn the heat right down and simmer for around 40 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, wash the spinach thoroughly and add to the pot.
- Close the lid and let it simmer for another 10 minutes
- Serve with the brown rice.
When you decide to create this recipe, please tag me on @Fiveforafiver via Facebook / Twitter (@Fiveforafiver1 on Instagram), using the hashtags #FiverFoodies and/or #Fiveforafiver, so I can check and
Please find below a list of ingredients for this recipe that I found from Tesco for £4.42 total (prices may vary from 30 September 2018)
- Tesco Italian Chopped Tomatoes in Tomato Juice, 400g – 35p
- Tesco Easy Cook Brown Rice, 1kg – £1.50
- Fresh & Naked Baby Spinach, 125g x 2 – 98p
- Tesco Redmere Farms Red Onion, 1kg – 65p
- Tesco Broccoli, 350g – 55p
Recipes, freebies and tips every Sunday!
Sign up and receive the following every Sunday:* Email tips on how to get confident in the kitchen* Free printables, checklists and calendars that you can stick on your fridge!* An automated and interactive meal planner of all Five for a Fiver’s recipes (updated weekly)
* Fun quizzes, games and interesting food facts