I love infusing the lovable food pair, cheese and tomato, with a traditional pasta dish to make a hearty meal for the family. I am a great believer in keeping pasta dishes simple and allowing the ingredients to enhance the flavours naturally, and cheese and tomato do this so beautifully together. Including mixed vegetables, not only ensures that the kids are getting some valuable nutrients into their diet, but it also saves you money in the long run to buy the frozen bags. Mixed vegetable bags can include sweetcorn, peas, carrots and green beans. So, that’s an extra four portions of vegetables at dinner! I added half of the mild Cheddar cheese and half of the Parmesan on top of the hot pasta, to increase the saltiness without adding any extra sea salt. But, you can use pretty much any cheese you want in this dish.
It only takes around 15 minutes to make and 2 adults and 2 children can enjoy a healthy portion of this pasta dinner for under £5. Perfect for a school night!
- 500g Pasta
- 200g Mixed Veg
- 150g Cheese (you can add 75g of Parmesan and 75g of Cheddar)
- 3 Medium Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove or 1 tsp of Garlic Granules
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Puree
- 450ml Chicken Stock
- Sea Salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions
- At the same time heat the olive oil in a large pan and lightly loosen the garlic cloves.
- If you using garlic granules, add together with the tomatoes and chicken stock and mash the tomatoes with a whisk or masher
- Add the tomato puree and mix well
- Stir in the mixed vegetables and leave to simmer for 10 - 15 minutes
- Drain the pasta and add to a large bowl.
- Mix in half of the grated cheese
- Add the sauce to the pasta once the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced slightly
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot, with the grated cheese on top
Price for ingredients via Tesco – £4.45 (as at 19 June 2016) Prices may vary after this date
Photos by Preston Perfect Photography
New recipes every week!
Awesome, thanks! I look forward to a lovely long relationship with you. As promised I’ll start sending you some awesome new recipes, as well as tips on how to be a superstar chef in the kitchen too. I hope you like them 🙂 Oh, and if you have any questions, comments, and/or criticism – or if you just want to say hello – hit me up with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to get to know you 🙂 I’ll see you on the other side! Leyla x