My kids sometimes come home from school and shout “Snacks!” at me, like I’m a 24-hour chef who whips up whatever they want in a jiffy. Essentially, I’m not far off from an on-call maid, but at least I now have an arsenal of dessert recipes, like the below 5-ingredient vegan apple cookies, that I can make quickly in between all the extracurricular activities and taxi duties. Furthermore, the desserts are refined sugar-free, thanks to my three most favourite natural sweeteners; banana, dates and maple syrup. In these 5-ingredient vegan apple cookies, I have only used pitted dates and apple as my sweeteners, but because they came out so sweet there really wasn’t any need for extra white or brown sugar.
Here are the ingredients:
When you add in a sweet fruit like apple, you further sweeten the dessert, and, on this occasion, I managed to create one of the boys’ favourite cookies – 5-ingredient Vegan Apple Cookies!
Soft, gooey and sweet, these apple cookies can be made in under 20 minutes. Plus, they are super easy. You can use good old fashioned elbow grease, or grab yourself a food processor, and whizz up a cookie consistency, which you then place in an oven and bake for 12 – 14 minutes. Make sure you don’t overbake though, otherwise you don’t get the gooey consistency.
So here is the recipe for my 5-ingredient vegan apple cookies. Feel free to replace the granola with oats, flax seed, hemp seeds or even nuts. You can even replace the apple with another fruit like banana or grapefruit (I made chocolate grapefruit cookies the other day and they were delicious! Let me know in the comments below if you’d like me to publish the recipe on Five for a Fiver.)
So, onto the recipe!
5-Ingredient Vegan Apple Cookies
12 – 14 minutes
Pssst – If you subscribe to my newsletter, you’ll receive an email every Sunday, as well as a free automated weekly planner that’s updated with new recipes every week. Plus, you’ll also get lots of freebies, which include checklists, printables and whatever else I can think of that I think you would find interesting and valuable – Form on the right (look up) ⟶ and below (look down) ↓
Recipes, freebies and tips every Sunday!
- 1 Apple grated
- 1 Cup Pitted Dates soaked in water for at least 1 hours
- 1 Cup Granola
- 2 Tbsps. Peanut Butter (Crunchy is best)
- 1 Cup Self-Raising Flour
Fancy more cookie recipes? I have a whole category on cookies and you can find them over at https://fiveforafiver.com/category/cookies/
- Preheat your oven to 175C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
- Grab your food processor and add the soaked pitted dates (remove the water). Pulse until they are chopped up finely
- Add in the granola and the peanut butter and combine well
- Slowly add the flour, pulsing in between until the mixture is fully combined
- Add in the grated apple and pulse slowly. You don’t want to lose the grated bits of apple that add depth to the cookie
- You should end up with a cookie consistency that you can formulate in your hand. Grab a tablespoon’s worth and form a ball, flattening the ball with the palm of your hand.
- Add the flattened balls to a greased tray lined with baking parchment. Bake for around 12 – 14 minutes, checking after 12 minutes to make sure you don’t overbake them. They should end up golden brown and gooey in the middle.
- This recipe makes around 18 cookies. Leave to cool on a wire rack before enjoying with your favourite beverage. The kids love a cold glass of milk with theirs!
Please find below a list of ingredients for this recipe that I found from ASDA for £4.53 total (prices may vary from 7 October 2018)