Summer is on its way (just a few months now) and I want to enjoy some burgers on a grill. However, I aim to indefinitely follow a plant-based lifestyle, which I’m currently enjoying because I feel so much healthier and stronger than I did in 2017. So, I’ve decided to change up my burger recipe to a bean burger, which, surprisingly, was really easy to make.
I won’t stop my family from eating beef burgers, but I can at least encourage them to open their palates and try other versions, like my awesome Black Eye Bean Burger, which, I have to say, is delicious!
You can try this recipe with any kind of beans, including chickpeas. Plus, if you add a tablespoon of tahini to the mix, you’ve got yourself a real protein burger too. I decided to go for Black Eyed Beans in this recipe because they’re my favourite kind of bean and I know that they pack a bit of protein themselves.
Here are the ingredients:
When I first made this recipe, it came out way too salty, so I reduced the salt and the vegetable powder (which was quite salty in itself) and I found a happy medium.
I also think that this recipe would benefit with a bit of tahini to moisten up the mixture as the bean burgers can come out slightly on the dry side (although they are still delicious as they are).
So, let’s get on with the recipe so you can try for yourself. The boys loved this plant-based burger (and they’re a tough crowd!) So, I know you will too.
Recipes, Freebies and Tips every Sunday!
Awesome, thanks! I look forward to a lovely long relationship with you. As promised I’ll start sending you some awesome new recipes, as well as tips on how to be a superstar chef in the kitchen too. I hope you like them 🙂 Oh, and if you have any questions, comments, and/or criticisms – or if you just want to say hello – hit me up with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to get to know you 🙂 I’ll see you on the other side! Leyla x
- 1 Can / 240g (drained) Black Eyed Beans
- 4 Wholemeal baps/burger buns
- 1 Flax egg (1tsp flax seeds and 2 ½ tbsp water)
- ½ Cup panko breadcrumbs or whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Tsp of mixed herbs
- Pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ Tsp cumin
- 1 Tsp vegetable powder
- ½ Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp brown coriander
- Grab your food processor, a sieve and a colander
- Preheat your grill on a medium heat
- Rinse and drain the black eye beans, then microwave for 3 minutes
- Chop up the onions finely
- Grate the garlic
- Using a sieve, squeeze as much juice out of the onion and garlic as you can then add them to the food processor
- Add the beans and blitz until you have a smooth mix
- Add the seasoning and the flax egg and blitz
- Finally, add the breadcrumbs and pulse until you get the desired consistency
- Form your patties by making a ball with the mix and then pressing them down with the palm of your hand. Measure up the size of the patties against your wholemeal burgers
- Then place on the grill for about 10 minutes until browned on each side - turn halfway
- You can make this recipe with any bean from the legume family, including chickpeas!
- Makes 4 large burgers or 8 small burgers
- Try this recipe with chickpeas and a tablespoon of tahini for a delicious protein burger!
Fancy more appetizer recipes? Try my Vegetable koftes (meatballs)!
When you’re ready to create this recipe, please tag me on @Fiveforafiver via Facebook/Twitter (@Fiveforafiver1 via Instagram) and use the hashtags #FiverFoodies and/or #FiveforaFiver, so I can check out your awesome bean burgers too!
Here is a list of ingredients that I found from Asda for £3.78 total:
New recipes, freebies and so much more every Sunday!
Awesome, thanks! I look forward to a lovely long relationship with you. As promised I’ll start sending you some awesome new recipes, as well as tips on how to be a superstar chef in the kitchen too. I hope you like them 🙂 Oh, and if you have any questions, comments, and/or criticism – or if you just want to say hello – hit me up with an email to email@example.com. I’d love to get to know you 🙂 I’ll see you on the other side! Leyla x